Was almost cheated... Cheated?

Yesterday was a great day for me to do some shopping. I went to Centre Point to look for a pair of futsal boots. Really need one as my current one is not in good shape anymore. I end up bought two pairs of boots, one is for futsal, and one is for outdoor soccer. But that was not the place i almost cheated. It happened at Mega Long Shopping Mall Donggongon. Sia rasa, when i mention this Shopping Mall, most of you would know why i am saying "almost cheated". Hehehehe

Mega Long (what is the correct spelling of this? MEGALONG or MEGA LONG???) is the latest attraction of Penampang and Donggongon Town. It boost the Longest Shopping mall in Sabah. And for the first time, Giant set it's foot on Penampang. Also this is the first time that a cinema was built in Penampang, All in Mega Long. In megalong you could find a lot of attractive shops and outlet, not forgetting famous fast food chain. uiks, lari topik!!! hahaha. Cukup lah... kalau kamu mo tau, pigi ja sindri..

After coming back from Center Point went straight to Giant as i want to buy something there. On my way to Giant, i was stop by a young girl asking me to write down my name just to "make sure they are doing their job". The dialog lebih kurang macam ni...


Girl: Abang, tulis nama saja. Kami tiada punch card, nanti boss cakap kami nda buat kerja. Untuk rekod saja.
Me: OK. Buli bah kalau ko...

This shop is one of many located inside Mega Long. No need for me to mention their name as i know a lot of you would have guess it. I heard lot's of "fraud" stories regarding this company. Normally i would say no and walk away. But since i want to know what does they mean by fraud or cheat, i give myself a try. She ask me to follow me inside the shop and ask me to fill in the spot & win contest. Antam ja lah... Then she went inside to get i envelope containing the car sticker, and voucher. Kunun2 asia dapat RM200 cash voucher... Buli kunun beli barang sana. Then ada lai satu Vocher, RM100 but this time with gambar. periuk and stove. Trus this girl colleague, a guy come and sit with us. Bermula episod marketing derang.

Come to this young guy surprise (kunun lagi) the RM100 Voucher is (Kunun2) for special customer and i am kunun-kunun the lucky one to receive 2 items worth RM6k ++. Huah... Lucky kan... They even "called" their boss to ask him to further explain to me about the offer. The dialog, lebih kurang di bawah...

Boss: Sia mo minta confirmation yang your voucher ada gambar those two items?
Me: Ya... Voucher harga RM100 with the pic of the two item.
Boss: This is to confirm that you never purchased anything at our shop, or register to any offer from us?
Me: Nda pernah. This is the first time i heard about your company.
Boss: Okay, yang sebenarnya kami randomly put in the voucher inside the envelope. Not even our staff  there know about it. Based on the running number, you are lucky enough to become our company ambassador. Di Sabah only a few saja yang dapat ni. You don't need to pay for this two item, as you will get it for free. The company will sponsor you to use it and you will promote this to your neighbour or family member. I'll let my staff explain further...
Me: OK... (dengan stail yang blur2 ni)

The the male staff, explain to me about the offer. the so called company ambassador program and a lot of benefits... bla bla bla & so forth. They even demonstrate to me on how to used the appliance with one flies become victim of their demonstration. Hehehehe... Then the demo, the sweet talk ended. They are back to bussiness. They inform me, in order for me to get two sponsored item, i need to cash in the RM100 voucher and buy any item in the shop. They proposed me one item, priced about RM2988 (whoah!!!) and using the RM100 voucher the new price is RM2888. After failing to convince me, the called their 'boss' and the 'boss' agreed to give me a 'special' price of RM1688 for me to buy the one appliance and get the other two for free. They even ask for my credit card and my atm card, so that they can 'help' if i don't have cash in hand. After almost two hours of negotiating, talking and listening, i had enough. i told them that maybe this is not my luck so let other people get this. I'm off the shop went straight to giant. End of story.

Now i know how it works. They are desperate to sell the product so badly, even have to do something that annoyed other people. Gained the experiences of being tried to buy a thing, i know how it feel, learn some new things, but what i hate the most i totally forgot what i want to buy at Giant, and at this time of writing, i still can't recalled what i want to buy there. This is all because of the so called lucky offer. Kenapa juga sia mo pigi try ah? hahahaha

From my observation, i don't think their main intention is to cheat. but the way they run their marketing strategy makes people thinks they want to cheat. My findings...

1. At first, they just want you to fill in name, even promised won't take long time, even heard they say, "tidak beli pun tidak apa", but ends up listening to their offer after offer.


2. The voucher is priced at RM200 and RM100. The items in the shop is priced within RM2500 to RM5000. Apa lah guna tu voucher tu? Untuk mengaburi mata saja sia rasa.


3. Why do you repeatedly ask for my ATM or my Credit Card (i told them i didn't brings both card), even offer to go to my home, just to swipe it? I think if i have gave them my cards, they might swipe it without my knowledge.


4. They called their boss, but it is like that their 'boss' is just around the corner, maybe sitting at Marybrown eating french fries. Suara tu boss pun macam too good to be a boss... macam colleague dia saja.

More... nanti lah... hehehehe...

Their marketing strategy in my opinion is dead wrong. It seems that they are forcing people to buy their products. I even overheard the other group of promoter saying the same things to the other customer they manage to 'catch'. The words are, "Anda adalah yg bertuah di Megalong ni ari. Urang lain pun tidak bertuah macam anda". Sia salah dangar? what about me...? hmmm... Berapa ramai yang "bertuah" oh? Ramai yang sia dengar nyaris kena, or ada yang uda kena... Kena swipe derang pinya ATM or even Credit Card... Ada cerita sia dengar sampai Tourist kana suru bayar sampai RM15k but not sure dimana or adakah the same company. This way of promoting and marketing should be tweak to suit the people here. Be reasonable... You are not selling cheap children book worth RM20. You are selling appliances ranging from RM2k to RM5k.Not all people have enough money for that.

KaDuS Bilang:
Sia nda blame tu promoter lah... derang tu cuma kerja. Mo earn the commission untuk bayar overdue bills derang. ada yang masi belajar, ada juga yang ada family uda. Just that sia rasa cara derang untuk mo get custumer tu salah. Maybe itulah arahan daripada big boss derang, and they have no other choice but to obey it. Hmmm... Guess derang ingat macam jual buku jak ni... hmmm... It has to be stop... Megalong Management should see it over, to avoid untowards incident. Sia buli tahan... sia buli layan... tapi nda smua urang macam sia... Kalau tekana yang pemanas? buli menjejaskan reputasi tu kompeni and Megalong in whole...

Pandangan sia yang kabur lah...

This entry was posted in , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Was almost cheated... Cheated?

Tina said...

Hi Mark!
Interesting story and you write with a lot of humour. Haha.. I like your cerita!
Maybe the marketing strategy is to first catch the potential client with a 'free' voucher/merchandise. Then after getting his attention, they try to attract him with more 'goodies'... something he'll get but only after paying a lot of money. Some companies do the same over the phone.
Pendek cerita, it's a waste of our time! And for you, sampai lupa what you wanted to get at Giant.
Thanks for sharing. Now I'll be extra careful when I singga at Megalong!

Jacq said...

Same ol' strategy for them to get us to buy their products.. konon saja make us feel special.. pahadal last2, bukan special juga.

And some of them even tried to follow me from their shop all the way until the other side of building just to give you that "free bottle" ni.. Aduii..

Anonymous said...

hi Mark!

I came across ur blog n saw this post. Kinda crack me in a way..sampai lupa apa mo beli ah.. =_="
anyho, same thing happen to a family member of mine. Venue wise, Karamunsing..
I was rather piss of seeing that the so-called promoters tryin to convince people that its their lucky day..
padahal its all tricks to swindle peoples' money.

There should be a law against this kind of business kan. Pity to those yg kena, but nevertheless, life aint fair.. so bkful in d future aight!

Rgds,
|eon ^_^

Borneolady16 said...

Hey Markie,

How r u lama tidak dgr. I guess cerita ko ni mcm sama dgn cerita sa. but it happened to me long time ago. Semua sma kecuali locatation ja nda sma...and....a week after dat my house kena masuk pencuri becoz it happened time sa baru blk dr luar beli brg...ada bdk lelaki approach..mula2 smala dia ckp bkn minta byr just scratch the lotery ja..sekali tinguk am the lucky winner...ceh...story dia sma la mcm ko ending dia...

markiekadus said...

Tina -> TQ for reading my blog, and TQ for approving my request in the facebook. Hehehehe... Ya, i am totally forgot what i want to buy at Giant... Truk kan... but seriously, they need to find another way of marketing or they'll ends up facing the music by the government. Tapi macam lama uda derang beroperasi ni... macam teda crita saja... hehehehe. I will be careful Next Time. TQ.

JacQ -> Bagus daa ko dapat botol... sia? voucher saja... RM200 untuk beli barang yg harga RM3k to RM5k... adei... really, kalau tekana urang yg panas baran, silap2 kana tumbuk tu...

Anon (|eon) -> Hehehehe... macam sia cakap di atas... i totally forgot... ilang... mo cakap faktor usia pun, mustahil juga... padahal sia tau tujuan sia mo pigi Giant beli tu barang... akhirnya... yg teda2 sia dapat. hehehehe. There should be a law. I do agree... tapikan macam lama uda derang ni bah... takan lah teda tindakan lansung kan... huhuhu...

BorneoLady16 -> Okay juga sia ni... wah... isn't that annoying? uda ko hampir kana tipu, kana rumpak pula uma ko... sia rasa tu lottery smua tu, yg mo kana scratch tu smua WINNER... hehehehe... taktik pembuyuk... huhuhu